Miami is a wonderful place to be. Whether you live here or you are visiting there are plenty of activities to do with the family. Every year during summer we post our list of favorites. Whether you want to enjoy the sunshine outside, get away from the rain! or cool off indoors. Read on for a summer of events, festivals, crafts, music, games, movies, and more (we have a few repeats from last year, because they were awesome!)
- Head north and get a glimpse or experience the Aventura Slide Tower– both a towering landmark and exhilarating slide at the entrance to Aventura Mall’s expansion wing this nearly 93-foot-tall spiral structure by Belgian artist Carsten Höller is generating a big buzz – go check it out!
- Explore the local children’s museum– there is always a new fun exhibit for the little ones!
- Go for ice-cream at the oh-so trendy ice cream spot inside 1-800-Lucky and try the famous fish or unicorn cones.
- Get again artsy and experience hands-on activities for kids, free second Saturdays of the month at PAMM.
- Get splashed on and enjoy marine animal encounters, exhibits and shows closer to the Miami action.
- Enjoy nature at its best, environmental education, seagrass adventures, birdwatching, hammock hikeand more!
- Hit the ice when the weather is too hot or too rainy at state of the art 12,885 square ft. ice skating rink in Miami!
- Head North, a bit outside Miami to explore 40,000-square-feet of activitieswith an epic main attraction: a trampoline court with interlocking trampolines.
- Experience two days of the king of tropical fruit at all mango international festival.
- Enjoy a family day at Miami Design District,no worries if you miss it, still plenty of fun things to do and see at this wonderful paradise of shops, museums, coffee shops and restaurants any other day of the week.
- Become a scientist and enjoy exhibits, planetarium and aquarium at the spectacular Frost Science anytime during the week.
- If indoor is what you are looking for, there is a great addition to Miami’s indoor playgrounds – Fundimension– Walk a few blocks south from where most of the artsy action is in Wynwood and you’ll find a massive warehouse-turned-indoor-arcade with not just video games, but also laser tag, bumper cars and a 7-D theater.
- Looking to expose your kids to wild animals? Everglades Alligator Farms’might be for you then. While there’s an alligator feeding show and a snake show, most of the attraction is watching employees at the farm bravely wrestle giant creatures for your entertainment. The facility also offers airboat rides for a different type of adrenaline rush.
- Introduce your kids to some history and culture of the Miccosukee tribe at the Miccosukee Indian Village.Kids will learn and have fun browsing authentic crafts and patchwork, sampling the tribe’s cuisine and visiting the Indian Museum, which is packed with artifacts and exhibits.
- Every kid loves Italian food (pizza or pasta are my kids favorites) so while dining out with kiddos during summer do not think it over. Check out 2 of our favorites, Casa Tua Cucinaand North Italia.
- Go for a stroll, search for wildlife, and visit the lighthouse for a spectacular view at the KB Lighthouse-if your little one is over 42 inches tall anyway.
- Fly a kite in best kite park in Miami – Haulover Beach Park.
- Take a family bike ride on a kid-friendly biking trail.
- Stroll through a local farmers market and enjoy fresh groceries and festive atmosphere, if you are lucky maybe some live music.
- Head South to a Fresh Fruit Paradiseand grab the best milkshakes in Miami while kids pet their favorite farm animals.
- Pack a lunch and take it to one of the best spots in Miamifor a picnic.
- Hop on a vintage carouselat beautiful 2-mile beach.
- Hit the beach, relax for an hour or so to later let the kids play for a while at a local park with shade – one of my favorites, South Pointe Park!
- Step back in time, become a mermaid at a cave-like grotto and cool off at best nature-based pool ever!
- If you are looking for a quite yet entreating outing in the hidden gem of Palm Grove Historic District, then Ironside is your choice. A vibrant, mixed-use urban center with rainbow eucalyptus trees.
- Let your kids go rock climbing, exploring art, taking cool pictures at hipster neighborhood Wynwood– while you are at it take a salty break.
- Enjoy having hundreds of butterflies from all over the tropical world fluttering around you – Learn and experience the world of a butterfly.
- Head to South Beach, cool off and later let kids tumble over the astroturf mat on oval hump while you try to do some window shopping on our version of 5th Avenue in Miami Beach.
- Let the kids become Tarzan at the jungle, experience feeding primates running loose while you walk through a series of tunnel cages.
- Go bowling. and get some indoor time at the Shops at Sunset.
- Be wowed at a fairy tale architecture and waterfront Italian Renaissance-style villa, take a quick tour of the interior and head to the labyrinth and maze gardens.
- Experience life in old days Miami by exploring crafts, music and storytelling at History Miami, Family Fun days are on second Saturdays of the month and they are free.
- Visit your local library for summer library program events: musical performances, puppet shows, book clubs, movies, workshops, etc.
- Feed a giraffe at the largest tropical cage-free zoo in the Continental US, which boasts 2,00 animal.
Picture credit: Aventura Mall Blog (Leo Diaz)